Monday, April 21, 2008

Going to Pot

There was a "Peanuts" cartoon lately that I identified with. Charlie Brown is lying in bed, not sleeping. He says, "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I think, 'Maybe I can change my life around.'" In the second panel, he thinks, "Then a voice comes to me out of the dark, 'Sure, make a lot of paperwork for the rest of us.'"

Lately, I have been creating a lot of paperwork for many people! This truly is a common consequence of change.

I have been transplanting. Last Sunday I took to gardening, always a nervous time for my plants. I took almost all of them out of the pots they'd been in, and put them in others. I pulled them up by their pot-bound, intertwined roots and shook 'em until they gave up as much of their "old" dirt as they would let go of, and then I put 'em in "new" dirt, in new "digs," by themselves, or with new "bedfellows." I fertilized/fed and watered.

And now I wait. I wait to see how the "transplant" has taken. Will they like it? Will they flower? Or will they shrivel, shrink from the shock-- or simply because they liked it the way it was? (I mean, plants like people can grow comfortable when roots are intertwined in familiar ways. Freedom-- room to grow and be ourselves-- can be a formidable thing.)

I have been transplanted. For thirty years or more I had been living in the same series of pots, in the same soil, trying to live in some way true to myself and also "bloom where I was planted," as the saying goes. Well, what I found out was that some soil is not altogether fit for some plants, and vice versa. Hopefully, I have been transplanted into soil better fit for me to thrive in-- as myself, for the gifts I have been given and the gifts I have to give, to bear the fruit I actually have within me to bear. I cannot know for sure.

I can only trust The Gardener. I know that I wouldn't have been transplanted were it not for my own good, because The Gardener does not really care about how much paperwork such change eventuates! And I know that The Gardener is watching, watering, and waiting.

This column, this new blog, is my effort to see if I can bear new fruit, find another voice (or voices), to see for myself if this transplantation isn't truer to myself.

Let's see how this goes, ok, Dear Reader!

1 comment:

Pat Bennett said...

Well, Trxtr, as we listen for our new voices - why whisper when we can sing, why walk when we can dance and why look over our shoulder when it's all opening up in front of us?!
Congratulations and blessings on your new endeavors, new growth and your well-grounded, albeit repotted, observations.