Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Importance of Being Human

Living with open ears gets to be challenging in a noisy world, and almost nowhere in my world is it as loud as it is in spinning class. One difference between an indoor ride and an outdoor ride is that at least with the latter, you get somewhere! But another has to do with the noise level. I am not an I-Pod wearer-- maybe among the last of us without earbuds and a white cord dangling. So I am not accustomed to having ambient sounds crowded rudely out by music at volumes approaching rock concerts or planes escaping the runway. Spinning has meant adjustments for my legs and heart to the exercise, and my ears (and heart!) to the music's volume.

It is the volume itself that makes actually listening to it difficult. Otherwise, one's whole body becomes an eardrum, and vibrates, like everything else in the room, to the beat. That's where the heart-part comes in: is my heart beating to the music or is the music beating my heart? Hard to say. My legs keep pumping anyway!

So it is unusual when, having become the noise I am immersed in, I actually hear the lyrics, especially if the song is new to me, as one was the other day. I heard this chorus, emerging over the relatively dulcet chords: "Are we human? Or are we dancers?"

I love it when existential questions rise like the Lady of the Lake (or Angelina Jolie) from beneath the primordial ooze of everyday distractions.

Turns out, the questions were posed by the British punk rock group, The Killers, in their web-released song, "Human," last September. Turns out, bit of controversy there. (You'll be helped to hear what I'm writing in that last bit by re-reading and saying "controversy" in a British accent!) More than one critic called the lyric "silly"-- which is both damning and positively saying something when it comes to rock music lyrics, most of which hold meaning like a sieve holds water. But one post opined that when the song appeared in German, the meaning suggested that maybe The Killers were likening us to marionettes. Some of the lyrics appeared to have allusions to puppetry. Maybe it helps to hear rock music sung in languages other than our own?

Point is, I really got caught by the dilemma of the questions-- thus (a)mused my way through several intervals, jumps, and sprints. Are we human? Or are we dancers?

I want to make two quick comments, not by way of answers, certainly not one way or the other, but in order to speak out of both sides of my mouth:

Yes, we are human-- and since it is our basic humanity that gets too often lost in this brutish and inhuman world, affirming it, confirming it, and returning to it requires a daily spiritual discipline. We are helped when we can treat each other with compassion and embrace ourselves and each other in our common humanity. We ARE human. But we need a kind of common encouragement to be our all-too-human selves...

And, yes, we can be dancers! In fact, would that we were dancers! Would that we could develop in ourselves a capacity to transcend our humanity, even if only for brief moments in time, and dance! And participate in that which is greater than ourselves with a freedom straining for abandon! And be moved by music that we hear with our whole selves, and give ourselves over to, so that we are made lighter, translucent even, by moving at the speed of sound!

Ah, maybe making us riders into dancers-with-pedals is what our spinning instructors are aiming for? Why then do I feel only the sound barrier? In the noise, I huff and puff and am reminded all too well of my humanity. In the music, who could tell what hills I might climb?

6 comments:

CoyoteFe said...

Why O Why, when I read your posts do I have a sense of deja vu? Odd.
I say (not even trying to take the easy road), we are both, because when we affirm our humanity through daily (hourly? minutely?) affirmation, or trust, or however we get there, it is then and there that we dance. If we want to.

TRXTR said...

Dance if we want to-- or if we let ourselves go?

What impresses me about the human vs dancer deal is: how do we mean "dancer"? If dancer as puppet, then being controlled is this issue. We lose our humanity then. If dancer as "one who surrenders," the our ability to enhance our humanity by giving ourselves over is the deal-- and our humanity is enhanced.

Truth, Fe? I think most people get a kind of comfort from being controlled, and surrender their humanity for the security.

And: I think it takes someone really secure in their humanity to surrender to something greater than themselves-- and such folks are more rare.

I like to think of myself as more the latter. You?

CoyoteFe said...

Dance if we want to, of course. If we want to, then we let go. If we don't, we make up all these excuses about not being able to dance. Unless we are drunk, or somesuch. Been there; have the dance card.

And, puppets do not dance. They aren't even "danced". They bounce. It's humiliating. No moreso than when we realizes we could be dancing.

That said, I must admit that you are correct. There is a comfort and a security in surrendering. The problem is it does not really accomplish anything, doesn't provide anything of true value, and sooner or later just brings you back to the place where you started. To start again.

If I understand your meaning in surrendering to something greater, I think that is "embracing" rather than surrendering. Yes, you still give up something of yourself in the process, but they are the pieces YOU realize you don't need, not the ones someone told you to throw down as the price of admission. Is that what you meant?

TRXTR said...

CoyoteFe! I love the passion in you!

I think we've had two different experiences of "surrender." One I've had IS like an "embrace"-- but I give myself over (surrender) and find myself "caught" (as in: kept from falling) and cared for. In that process I don't so much give up any part of myself as discover parts of myself I didn't realize I had all along. So it is affirming...

Yes, when we are like puppets (controlled) we do-and-are "bounced" as you say... Yes, there is no "surrender" in that, only a distorted form of dependency.

And, when I've "surrendered," in the positive, willing-to-be-held kind of way, it changes me. If I do have to start again, I start in a different place-- maybe one more secure in my vulnerability, less afraid and thus less needing to be defensive. Something like that!

Certainly, after an evening of being danced by the music, I am both exhausted and exhilarated! The ecstasy of giving myself over!

Surely, you've felt that! I'm counting on it...

CoyoteFe said...

Wow, TRXTR -

How do you shift the path like that? I was just trotting along, breathing in the sunshine, and BAM! New landscape! That's kind of impressive.

So, let's see: What you describe IS a different breed of surrender, to the point of being another species. What I spoke of was either a response to coercion, or an inability to find another alternative, OR - on the other shore - a willingness to suspend fear, inhinitions, ego OR a simple search for a slice of new horizon. It involves exercising a measure of trust, to be sure.

What YOU are talking about sounds suspiciously like a MUCH bigger, more powerful gift, to both yourself or (and?) others.

Have I felt comfortable in surrender? Yes. Have I danced to abandon? Indeed. Have I spun into the inky night without thought that the dance will catch me? Egad. (Wracked my brain) I think I would have remembered THAT.

TRXTR said...

CoyoteFe, a possibility to ponder: Perhaps women experience both kinds of surrender-- the one that they resist because it is being demanded or forced, and the one that they can give themselves to, because it come only with invite, not with coercion.

On the other hand, I'm guessing that surrender means defeat to men-- hence always something they refuse, thus missing the invitation, and seldom experiencing the giving over...

Just a guess...