Thursday, November 20, 2008

More Passing

Well, it has happened again. First there was Pogo. Then Calvin & Hobbes. And recently, I wrote about the passing of "For Better or Worse." Now "Opus" has "bit" the dust...

You know, if the comics are "poor man's entertainment," in this economy, more of us are going to need to be reading them, and it seems like the level of excellence is declining. No slight to those who remain, but even La Cucaracha reprises Boondocks! Thank goodness for Frazz and Doonesbury!

Anyway, Berkeley Breathed gave us Opus readers ample time to anticipate his passing-- told us the date, and even invited folks to suggest a "place" for Opus to go-- with a "first place" prize of Ten Grand! Talk about stimulating reader interest!

So when Sunday November 3 rolled around I wasn't surprised to see the last strip-- only at Breathed's choice. (I had thought to send Opus to Galapagus, to evolve and further the evolution of all species. Penquins rule!) But BB didn't put his choice in the paper. I had to go to a website to find where Opus had been put to bed...

Which is exactly what Breathed did: he ended the strip by putting Opus in bed next to the little bunny in the children's classic, Goodnight Moon! There's the momma bunny, across the darkened room, reading: Goodnight Opus, and goodnight air. Goodnight noises everywhere.

I loved it! Whimsical. Wonderful. And appealing.

I thought: when the time for my passing comes, lay me down with someone soft and sweet and bunny-like to cuddle me 'till my eyes close forever. And let me hear the Great Mother saying "goodnight" to me, and to all that I have held dear...

May we all go the way of Opus! The model is somewhere in the children's book of our choice.

No comments: