Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Rock Formations

Recently I found my oceanside meditations interrupted by what I was seeing.

On the one hand, there were two rocks, separated. As the ocean rose and fell around them, the rocks created two indentations, like eye sockets, and the water, as it went past, would swirl into eddies, which sometimes would create a "face" in the water: two eyes, and when the eddies joined, a sort of a smile beneath them. It was a grim smile though, and with the sunken eyes, more skull-like than anything. Maybe I was too close to Halloween!

On the other hand, there were two rocks close enough together to be taken to be one. When the ocean swelled around them, a very different phenomenon occurred: There were still two eddies, but as they swirled back on themselves and as they joined shore-side of the rocks, they created a heart-shape in the water, two currents going back to meet again, one thin one pointing away.

I thought of separation and how being too far apart can be deadly. And I saw how closeness, being just close enough, could bring out the heart, even from the sea.

No comments: